Skip to main content

Full text of "Pennsylvania Museum Bulletin. Number 37, January 1912"

See other formats


laOFTHE 

JANIA 
M 

SCHOOL**^ INDUSTRIALART 
MEMORI AlT HAIX 
FAIIMg^PARK 
PHlUWtHIA 




SUBSCRIPnON liOOAYEAR January. 1912 



Entered, AnKnst 27. 1903. at Phlladelpbla, Pa., as Second-Class Matter, under Act of Consress of Jnly 16. 1894 



P E N N S Y L VA NIA MUSEUM 

AND SCHOOL OF INDUSTRIAL ART 



36oarD of trustees 



The Governor of the State, Ex-Of. 



The Mayor of the City, Ex-Of. 



Charles Bond 
James Butterworth 
John G. Carruth 
Isaac H. Clothier 
Charles E. Dana 
Thomas Dolan 



Harrington Fitzgerald 
James H. Gay 
Mrs. John'' Harrison 
Thomas Skelton Harrison 
John Story Jenks 
John H- McFadden 
John T. Morris 

©fficere 



John W. Pepper 
Theodore C. Search 
Edgar V. Seeler 
Edward T. Stotesbury 
Jones Wister 
WiLUAM Wood 



Vice-Presidents 



THEODORE C. SEARCH, President 

JOHN STORY JENKS, 

ISAAC H. CLOTHIER, 

JAMES BUTTERWORTH, Treasurer 

EDWIN ATLEE BARBER,.Secretary 

LESLIE W. MILLER, Principal of the School 



EDWIN ATLEE BARBER, Editor 



Bulletin 



]for 3anuari?, IRlneteen IHunbreJ) anX> ^Twelve 



CONTENTS 

The Frishmuth Antiquarian Collection, by Mrs. Cornelius Stevenson 
Among the Accessions ........ 

Some Old Prints ......... 

Notes ..... . , . . . 

List of Accessions ......... 



PAGE 

I 

6 

lO 

1 1 

14 



S^-C B- 



I CI 



OF DRQ 

peDDSYLVjRDifl cDasaaQ" 

January, 1912 Number 37 

TENTH YEAR 



THE FRISHMUTH ANTIQUARIAN COLLECTION 

The Park Commissioners having converted two more divisions of the 
basement on the north side of Memorial Hah into exhibition rooms, these have 
been assigned by the Museum authorities to the extension of Mrs. W. D. 
Frishmuth's Antiquarian Collection which now occupies five well-equipped and 
adequately lighted rooms. These are approached by an easy stairway ; and 
the interesting collection of objects that from one to two hundred years ago 
formed what to modern Americans may seem like the comfortless comforts of 
the English and German Colonists, is now accessible. One must look here in 
vain for the relatively luxurious relics of the great and the rich. There are no 
Adam mirrors, no Chippendale furniture, no Lowestoft or Chinese porcelains. 
The picture evoked by the collection is that of the farmer's humble homestead 
or that of the poorer citizen of the town. But that poorer citizen or farmer 
probably enjoyed far greater comforts than did his English brother of the same 
period. 

The collection now before us well illustrates the fact that Philadelphia, at 
the time of the Revolution, could represent in one of her industrial pageants, 
so common in those days, fifty distinct trades. It was on the solid foundation 
of manufactures and trade that had been built up a Society living in self-pro- 
duced comfort and ease, (i) Trevelyan (2) states that Philadelphia lacked 
nothing that was possessed by any city of England, except a close corporation 
and a bull-ring. 

Peimsylvania, about the middle of the eighteenth century, could justly be 
called the most flourishing of the English colonies. A fleet of four hundred 
sail left Philadelphia yearly with the season's products. The Colony's free 
population numbered two hundred thousand souls, (3) and the conclusion 

(i) See Bryant & Gay "A Popular History of the United States," vol. IV, p. gi. 

<2) "The American Revolution," part I, p. "JJ. 

(3) "Winsor Narrative and Critical History," vol. V, p. 216; of Grahanie: The 
History of the United States, II., p. 403; Douglas: A Summary of the British Settle- 
ments, vol. II, pp. 324-5; Sheffield: Observations of the Commerce of the American 
States, table VII. 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 




FIRE LIGHTING APPARATUS 

Eighteenth Century 

Frishmuth Collection 




ANTIQUE STOVES. SMOOTHING IRONS AND LANTERN 
Frishmuth Collection 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 3 

drawn b_y jMaurice A. Low in his luminous and informing work (4) is that, on 
the whole, the three million colonists at the outbreak of the American Revolu- 
tion were really better off than the ten million people who constituted, then, the 
population of England. That the general or average standard of living was 
higher, and there was less poverty, degradation and vice. 




CANDLE DIPPING REEL 

CANDLE MOULDS AND BETTY LAMP 

Frishmuth Collection 



The series belonging to the colonial kitchen — that centre around which 
revolved the life of the early immigrant to the New World, is probably most 
representative of the degree of civilization which the people enjoyed. Here 
was truly the hearth where the family rallied and lived its rare leisure moments ; 
and while Mrs. Frishmuth has not reproduced the famous old kitchen in the 
Van Cortlandt House in New York, she has collected together most of the 
material with which it is furnished. 

(4) "The American People." vol. II, p. 45. 



4 BULLETIN- OF THE PEXXSYLA'AXL\ ^lUSEUAI 

Isaac Sharpless. President of Haverford College, in his delightful little 
book (5) quotes from a letter written by an evidently charming Quaker girl, 
Sally Brinley, to her grandmother, dated from "The Manor."' Bucks County, 
Pa.,' under date "The 28th of nth mo. 1685," which serves as a fair illustration 
of a Pennsylvania country kitchen at that early colonial date: 

"Our new house is all done. I wish you could see our big kitchen. It 
has a fire place entirel\- across one end of the room. Papa brings the back log 
in with the horse, and when the boys pile wood up against it, such a fire as it 
does make. We have so much wood. Papa says he would be rich if we had 

this lumber in England. I gather chips." etc "The new house is 

built on logs and all nicely plastered inside. We'll all be good and warm this 
winter. There is room in the fire place for Papa's big chair and ^Mamma's 
rocker. There is a bench on the other side for us children. There is a little 
narrow window near the chimney where the spinning-wheel stands. I've 
learned to bake cakes on the coals, ^^'e have a Dutch oven now" .... 
and there follow more details of the farming, "ranging" of cattle, draining of 
the land and food supplies, that are equally interesting — all of which the Frish- 
muth collection admirably illustrates and to which it gives point. 

There are many iron implements, pots and pans, some on feet to stand 
over the coals of the fireplace for the operation described by the sprightly 
Sally, and a fireplace furnished with cranes to hold the pots, tells the story. 
Here also is a marvelous, huge vat made of one great hollowed section of an 
ash-tree and used to make soft-soap. There is an old "nogging" and many 
other odd-shaped pails. An iron contrivance for carrying about live coals for 
kindling fires, is eloquent of days when matches were not. This may also be 
said of long iron "lazy-tongs" for picking a live coal out of the fire to light the 
farmer's pipe. A fine series of waffle-irons of various shapes, patterns and 
sizes, make the modern housekeeper envious. Another interesting story is told 
by a series of humble implements for the making of tallow "dips" which, in 
early days of Colonial life, were the common illuminating process. ]\Ioulds of 
various sizes in which the tallow was run for the manufacture of from a dozen 
or more candles, show how the house-wife of the time supplied the place of 
the present gas or electric corporations. 

Tlie remainder of the house is almost equally well-represented bv its furni- 
ture. There are more or less ornamental backs and jambs, brass-knockers, a 
series of light making devices the mechanism of which is especially worthy of 
close attention. Interesting also are the sign marks of ancient local insurance 
companies which came into existence in the middle of the XA'III century. 

Heavy keys of difl'erent patterns, and excessive bulk and weight, queer 
iron stoves for burning wood, wonderful old quilts of patch-work, counterpanes 
of tuft or lampwick designs ; books of patterns for the various homespun cover- 
lets and other textile articles of home use : and "heckles" of every description 
for comliing flax. 

The dining room is well supplied with utensils — knives, forks and spoons, 
of steel and wood or bone ; dishes and glass : and a full series of pewter and 
moulds, show how the pioneers supplied their lack of silverware. 

''^ ".\ Quaker Experiment in Government." 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 




WEAVING IMPLEMENTS 

Ribbon or Tape Heddle, Wool Carders, NIddy-Noddy. etc 

Frishmuth Collection 




PATCHWORK QUILTS tFolded) 
Showing Three Designs 
Frishmuth Collection 



6 BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVAXL\ ^lUSEUM 

The wardrobe is well-represented by curious foot and head gear for both 
sexes, and rather formidable looking stays that do not evoke thoughts of com- 
fort. Many curious passing fashions of various epochs are exhibited, as well 
as an interesting collection of fashion-plates including some noted actresses of 
the XVIII century in their principal roles and most tragic attitudes. Fashions 
for women from 1780 to 1820 and some plates from the "Journal des Tailleurs" 
dating from the middle of the XIX century complete a small but interesting 
collection, explanatory of the objects of dress exhibited. 

Most primitive are the farming implements shown. Wooden ploughs, oxen 
yokes, oxen shoes, and curiously shaped tools are fascinating to examine. 
Especially curious are some wooden water-conduits formed of tree-trunks hol- 
lowed, that were dug up in 1903 from a point near the Schuylkill River. 
Memories of the days of a volunteer fire-department are evoked by some old 
leather fire buckets and a fireman's horn. To the out-of-door class of necessi- 
ties also belong curious bear and man-traps and similar objects for hunting or 
trapping smaller game ; while a quaint old two-wheeled '"chaise," such as 
Peter Ruggs might have used for his endless drive in the weird old tale, com- 
pletes a collection which brings to life before the visitor, far better than mere 
words ever could, the work-a-day existence of the sturdy simple men who 
founded this great State. S. Y. S. 



AMONG THE ACCESSIONS 

One of the most remarkable examples of iron work secured bv the Museum 
is an articulated dragon, of Japanese workmanship, which measures 313^ inches 
in length. This is so constructed that every joint and scale is movable, pro- 
ducing almost the pliability of a living animal. It is signed Muneyori, the 
name of a celebrated Japanese metal worker. This unusual example of the 
blacksmith's art has been presented to the Museum by Mr. John T. Morris. 

.\n articulated iron crayfish, bearing the signature Myochin-Munenaga, 
has also been added to the collection of Japanese metal work by purchase. 




ARTICULATED IRON DRAGON 
By Muneyori 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 7 

Other recent accessions include a series of four graduated brass measures 
of the eighteenth century, of the capacity of a quart, a pint, a half pint, and a 
gill, respectively. These measures, which are here shown, were purchased in 
England by Mr. John H. McFadden, and presented to the Museum by him. 




GRADUATED BRASS MEASURES 
Eighteenth Century 

A fine example of eighteenth centur\- maiolica, from Talavera, Spain, 
which has lately been purchased for the Museum, is a water jar, eighteen inches 
in height, decorated with a figure scene on one side and armorial bearings on 
the reverse. This is of the characteristic coloring of the period, in which 
browns, greens and yellows predominate. It belongs to that class of ware 
which furnished the models for the polychrome maiolica which was produced 
in Mexico in the early part of the nineteenth century. The illustration shows 
both sides of the jar. 

An interesting cup and saucer, 
purchased at the Robert Hoe sale 
in New York for the j\luseum col- 
lection, is here shown. The cup is 
of the greyish porcelain of the 
1757 period of the Worcester fac- 
tory, decorated with a black over- 
glaze print, probably by Robert 
Hancock. This design is not un- 
usual, but good examples are now 
scarce. The saucer, however, is of 
particular interest, since, while the 
design is practically the same, it is 
signed by T. Hughes, the name of 
an engraver apparently not known 
to English ceramists. Photographs 
of this saucer have been sent to porcelain cup 

Transfer Printed Engraving, probably by Hancock 
Worcester, England, about i76o-r78o 




BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 







BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 9 

several of the prominent museums in England and the best English authorities 
on the subject, but no ceramic engraver of that name appears to be known. 

Porcelain of a similar character, but of a somewhat darker shade of grey, 
with black transfer printing, was produced at Liverpool about the time it was 
being manufactured at Worcester. Inquiries at the Liverpool Museum have 
failed to elicit any information regarding this engraver. 




PORCELAIN SAUCER 

Transfer Printed Engraving 

By T. Hughes 

Mr. Frank B. Gay, of the Wadsworth Athenaeum, Hartford, has suggested 
that the engraver of this design may be the same as the engraver of the book 
plates mentioned by J. Leicester Warren (Lord De Tabley) in his book on that 
subject. According to this writer, various book plates produced between 1770 
and 1780 are signed by one Hughes. It is highly probable that this engraver 
was employed by someone to copy the well-known design of Hancock, or that 
he was employed at the Worcester factory at a little later period. A compari- 
son of the engraving on the cup and saucer will reveal the fact that the work 
of Hughes is considerably coarser than that of the model. 



lo BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

SOME OLD PRINTS 

There is in the Bloomfield-Moore collection a circular snufif box, the lid 
of which contains an exceedingly rare old print consisting of busts of three 
prominent men of the eighteenth century. It is a stipple engraving showing 
the fur cap portrait of Benjamin Franklin and heads of Voltaire and Rousseau, 
above which is the inscription, "Le Flambeau de I'L'nivers." Around the mar- 
gin are the following names and dates: "\'oltaire Ne en 1694; Mort en 1778. 




SNUFF BOX 

With rare old Print in Lid 

J. J. RousseauNe en 1712; Mort en 1778. B. Francklin Ne en 1706; Mort 
en 1790." This engraving is printed in subdued colors and bears the imprint 
of Blin, Paris, No. 17 Place Maubert. 

A small, but choice, lot of framed prints, from the well-known collection 
of the late Dr. Alfred C. Lambdin, has been lent to the J\Iuseum bv J\Irs. Lamb- 
dm, and hung in a room on the north side of the buildins' 




BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM ii 

NOTES 

Cover Design — The outside cover design of this issue of the Bulletin 
was executed by Miss V. Simkins, a pupil of tlie School. 



Oriental Furniture — The collection of Chinese, Japanese, India and 
Persian furniture, recently removed from the East Arcade, to make room for 
the European and American furniture, is now installed in one of the newly 
painted rooms on the north side of the building. 



New Case Linings — Experiments are constantly being made in materials 
and colors for case linings, or backgrounds for the collections. In the selec- 
tion of materials several points must be considered : First, cost : second, per- 
manency and immunity from the ravages of moths ; third, color, which should 
be of some neutral shade, suitable as a harmonious background for all classes 
of objects of every color. Many materials have already been tested in single 
cases, all of which have, for one reason or another, been found to be unsatis- 
factor3^ Several cases have lately been furnished with a loosely woven cotton 
fabric of delicate ecru tint which has Ijcen stretched over the wooden fittings 
painted in the same color. This material possesses distinct advantages over all 
other linings which have been tried and will probably be adopted for all cases 
requiring a light colored ground. 

CMfco 

Dr. Alfred Cochran Lambdin — On November 7, 191 1, Dr. Alfred 
Cochran Lambdin, one of the Trustees of the Pennsylvania Museum and School 
of Industrial Art, died suddenly at his home in the Warwick Apartments in 
this city. The following extracts are taken from a biograph- 
ical sketch published in the Philadelphia Xorth American: 

"Doctor Lambdin was one of the best-known journalists, 
connoisseurs and authorities on music and art in Philadel- 
phia. He was born in this city January 29, 1846, the son of 
James Reid and Mary Cochran Lambdin. His father was 
one of the foremost portrait painters of the country and was 
intimately associated with the social and intellectual life of 
the city. Men prominent in the affairs of city, state and 
nation were numbered among his sitters. 

"From him Doctor Lamijdin inherited a natural taste for dralfredc^ lambdin 
art and acquired an intimate knowledge of the technicjue of 
painting, and a perception that later distinguished his work as a critic. His 
early education he received in private schools and then entered the University 
of Pennsylvania. He was graduated from the medical school of the university 
in 1866. ' 

"The menace of Lee's invasion of Pennsylvania interrupted his studies, as 
it did those of many another patriotic Philadelphian. Though only a boy. 




12 BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVAXL\ ^^lUSEUM 

Doctor Lanibdin answered the summons to arms, and served as a defender of 
the flag until the close of the war. 

"In 1870 Doctor Lambdin entered upon his life work. His aptitude 
toward journalism was demonstrated prior to that time, however, and his first 
actual lai)or in the field of newspaper activity was as editor of the Gcnnaiitozi'n 
Chronicle. 

'■\Mien the Philadelphia Tiiiics came into existence in 1875, Doctor Lamb- 
din was enlisted as its first managing editor. He was identified with that 
newspaper throughout its career. He was directly associated with Colonel 
McClure in the management of the paper, and was closely identified with the 
political and munici]_)al life of the city, guiding and directing the paper that 
revolutionized journalistic methods in Philadelphia. 

"AMien the Times and the Public Ledger consolidated in 1902, Doctor 
Lanibdin became associate editor of the Ledger. On the death of L. Clarke 
Davis, December 14, 1904, he succeeded to the post of editor. 

"Doctor Lambdin's duties as editor did not prevent him from taking an 
active part in the social, educational and artistic movements of the day. He 
was a member of the Musical Fund Society, the Art Club, founder and president 
of the Nameless Club, a dining organization within the membership of the Art 
Club ; a member of the Penn Club and of the Franklin Inn Club : a trustee of 
the Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art. a trustee of the For- 
rest Home and one of the founders and vice president of the jMusical Art 
Club." 

At a meeting of the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees of this 
Institution held on the 9th of November, the following resolution was adopted: 

"Resolved, that the Trustees of the Pennsylvania Museum and School of 
Industrial Art jalace on record their sense of loss sustained in the sudden and 
unex|)ected death of their co-worker, Dr. Alfred Cochran Lambdin, who was 
for the past nineteen years a Trustee of this Institution. During this long 
period Dr. Lambdin worked faithfullv and intelligently for the best interests 
of the Pennsylvania Museum and its School of Industrial Art, and, by his ripe 
judgment and intimate knowledge of art matters, contributed greatly to the 
success of both the IMuseum and School. His valuable counsel and advice will 
be oreatlv missed in the deliberations of this bodv." 



E.\Ki.\- Rici'oRTS W.VNTED — The First and Second Annual Reports of the 
Corporation, for the years 1876 and 1877, have long been out of print. Re- 
quests arc constantly being received from other Museums and Libraries for 
.sets of these Reports, but owing to the fact that these two numbers have been 
exhausted, it is not possible to furnish complete files. JMembers and friends of 
the Corporation who possess copies of the missing numbers which the}- do not 
need, will confer a favor by sending the same to the Secretarv. 

School Noriis — The most important artistic wrought iron executed in 
America has just been erected in the Cathedral of St. lohn the Divine, New 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 13 

York City, by Mr. Samuel Yellin of the School. This is the great gate of the 
King Memorial Chapel of St. Colombo. The design, which is in the style of 
the Spanish Renaissance, was made by Mr. Grand C. LaFarge, the architect 
of the building, and intrusted to Mr. Yellin as the most competent craftsman 
to produce it. The successful completion marks an epoch in the development 
of the artist-artizan spirit which it is the School's purpose to foster, and to 
which it has contributed two eminent examples in this monumental edifice of 
the St. John Cathedral, the iron work just mentioned and the splendid choir 
stalls, carved by another former student, Mr. John Barber. The gate has 
several unique features — the tall columns of solid iron forged into shape and 
the ornaments beaten or chiseled upon the surfaces : the monogram above done 
in true repousse, as is also one of the cherub heads surmounting the central 
feature. The whole is nineteen feet high, almost seventeen feet across, and 
weighs over three tons. 

To those interested in industrial art, this work is momentous because it 
represents the most important order ever given in this country actually carried 
out in hand wrought metal where the most strongly marked tendency was to 
accept the vulgar cast method, as easier and cheaper. It is a veritable triumph 
for both Mr. Yellin and the architect. 

The Museum possesses an excellent example of Mr. Yellin"s work in an 
intricate and elaborately decorated lock and key, purchased at his exhibition 
last year. 

The Forge room established by Mrs. John Harrison at the School is the 
active centre of instruction in this revived craft and has its full limit of pupils 
for this season. 

There are several other classes for which the registrations are closed owing 
to the crowded condition, viz. : 

The Regular Modeling class, the Normal Modeling class, the Regular 
Design class, the Normal Design class, the day classes in copper and silver 
work, the evening class in copper and silver work, the Bookbinding class. 

The Normal class is the largest in the School's history. A special class in 
Jewelry has been inaugurated on Saturday mornings to accommodate some of 
those who could not obtain admission to the regular day metal classes, which 
are all full, and the students allowed only half the time formerly allotted to 
them for this work. Jewel caskets and other decorative subjects in pierced 
silver will be executed by this class. 

The Director has made arrangements for two of the students to study in 
Florence, Italy, and with Malillo in Naples, the range being limited to Etruscan 
gold jewelry — as the best of the fundamental styles, as in the case of one of 
the pupils who is to become an artificer of ecclesiastical metal work — Byzantine 
examples. Almost all the modern product comes from Italy where the art is 
highly developed. In order to observe and accjuire something of this it is 
necessary to send qualified, advanced students to that country. 

The tenth Annual Meeting of the Alumni Association of the School was 
held on the 9th of December. The Charter of the Association was presented, 
and the endowment fund for the perpetuation of the Costume sketch class 



14 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



transferred to the Board of Control. This fund was given by Mr. W. K. 
Ramborger as a memorial to his mother, Mrs. Mary L. Ramborger, who was 
the chief contributor to the large collection of costumes for the use of the class 
— many of these being of the colonial and early nineteenth century periods. 
Mr. Ramborger is also the donor of two of the six scholarships in the gift of 
the Association — for advanced study in the School. The Association will prob- 
ably have one or two foreign scholarships for 1912-1913. 

The Business Bureau under the Alumni Association has had ninety-four 
applications for craftsmen and designers, and especially for teachers of manual 
training. Out of one hundred and eighty-five recommended, fifty-three ac- 
cepted. Frequent requests come from the Southwestern part of the country, 
where the development of art education in connection with the public schools 
is rapidly increasing and a consequent demand for instructors exists. 

Six traveling exhibits of School work have been sent out so far this sea- 
son to the South, New England, the Pacific Coast, the Central West and the 
Southwest. These are shown from two to three weeks in the cities and im- 
portant towns, and attract much attention. Arrangements to send a deputy to 
the International Art Congress at Dresden the coming summer are being made. 



ACCESSIONS 

October — December. 1911 



CLASS 



Books and 
Prints . . 



Ceramics 



OBJECT 

16 Old Prints from Celebrated Paintings .... 
Book, "An Historical Review of Pennsylvania 

From Its Origin," by Benjamin Franklin, 

L.L.D., Philadelphia. 1S12 

White Satin Badge, "Centennial Celebration. 

Feb. 22, 1S32. Booksellers and Binders of 

the City and County of Philadelphia" .... 

3 Pottery Pitchers, Made by Samuel Boyle, 

Staffordshire. England, c. 1845 ._.......... Given by Mrs. John Harrison. 

Porcelain 1 ea bet. .Made by Josiali Spode, 
Stoke-on-Trent, England, c. 1815 

Figure of Praying Girl, Flint Enameled Ware, 
Made at Bennington, Vt., c. 1S50 

Large Pottery \^'ater Jar, Jlexico. Modern . . 

Large Pottery Water Jar, Mexican, Old .... 

Maiolica Jar with Polychrome Decoration, Tal-^ 
avera, Spain, r7th Century 

Pottery Jar, Decorated in Chinese Style, 
Made by Justus Brouwer, Delft. Holland, c. 
17C'5 

Pottery Jug with Black Printed View of Lake 
George, and Bust of Jefferson. Staffordshire, 
England, c. 18:15 

Pottery Pitcher, Masonic Designs and Wash- 
ington Memorial, Liverpool, England, c. 
1 800 

Pottery Plate. Busts of Washington and Lafa- 
yette, Staffordshire, England. 1825 .... 



HOW ACQUIRED 

Lent by Mrs. Alfred C. Lambdin. 

Given by Mr. J. H. Huckel. 
Given by Mr. J. H. Huckel. 



Bequest of Mrs. John Van Lew Klapp. 

Given by Mr. John T. Morris. 
Lent by Mrs. Jones Wister. 
Given by Mrs. Jones Wister. 



>Bought — Annual Membership Fund. 



■BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



ACCESSIONS— Continued 



CLASS 

Ceramics , 



Furniture 



HOW ACQUIRED 



>Lent by Dr. Edwin A. Barber. 



OBJECT 

Porcelain Plate, Meissen, Germany, c. 1750.. 
Plate. Faience a la Corne, Rouen, i8th Cen- 
tury 

2 Plates, Glass Glazed Pottery, Persia, 17th 

Century 

Porcelain Saucer, Worcester, England, 1813- 

1820 

Salt Glazed Stoneware Bottle, Grenzhausen 
Style, Made by Charles Wingender and 

Brother, Haddonfield, N. J., 1906 

Small Glass Glazed Pottery Cup. Egypt, c. 

1500 B. C 

Small Glass Glazed Pottery Vase, Rakka, 

Mesopotamia, 13th Century 

Glass Glazed Pottery Bowl and Plate, Persia, 

17th Century 

Glass Glazed Pottery Bottle, Persia, 18th 

Century 

Salt Glazed Stoneware Tankard, Grenzhausen 

District, Germany, i8th Century 

Salt Glazed Stoneware Bartmann or Grey- 
beard, Bouffioux, Belgium, iSth Century. . . 
"Stone China" Plate. Made by Josiah Spode, 

Stoke-on-Trent. England, c. 1820 

Pottery Saucer and Cream Jug, Imitation of 
Old Worcester Soft Paste, Staffordshire, 

England, c. 1825 

Pickle Dish. "Chalk Body Ware." By Robert 

Wilson, Hanley, England, 1790-1800 

Pottery Plate, Imitation of Chinese Porcelain. 

Staffordshire, England, c. 1825 

Pottery Plate, Imitation of Old French Soft 
Paste, by Heath, Staffordshire, England, c. 

1830 

Soft Porcelain Biscuit Cane Head and Me- 
dalion. Made by Charles CartUdge, Green- 
point, N. Y. c. 1850 

4 Porcelain Pitchers, Made by William Ellis 

Tucker, Philadelphia, c. 1832 

Porcelain Cup, Worcester. England, c. i860.. 
Porcelain Cup, Made by Josiah Spode, Eng- 
land, c. 1810 

Porcelain Sauce Boat, Bow, England, c. 1770 
Agate Ware Pottery Flower Pot, Made by 

Wedgwood and Bentley, c. 1768 

Porcelain Cup and Saucer, The Hague, Hol- 
land, c. 1790 

Pottery Tea Pot, Made by Ary de Milde, 

Delft. Holland, c. 1678 

Stoneware Jug in form of Negro Head, Made 
by a Negro Slave Potter, South Carolina, 

c. 1859 

Parian Ware Syrup Jug and Pitcher, Made at 
U. S. Pottery, Bennington, Vt., c. 1S50 . . . 
4 White Porcelain Pitchers with Relief Dec- 
oration, Made by Charles Cartlidge, Green- 
point, N. v.. c. 1S50 

Dark Blue Porcelain Tea Caddy, Made by the 
Ohio Valley China Company, Wheeling, W. 

Va., c. 1890 

Porcelain Ewer, Made by the Greenwood Pot- 
tery Company, Trenton, N. J., c. 1883 ..... 

Fire Board, Wall Paper Landscape Decora- 
tion, L^. S.. c. 1S50 Given by Mrs. Wm. D. Frishmuth. 

Mirror, Figures of St. George and the Dragon, 
Cherubs, etc. Carved in High Relief, Italy, 

16th Century Bought — Annual ^Membership Fund. 

Arm Chair, Upholstered in White Cut Velvet 
on Rose du Barry Ground, France, Period 

of Louis XVI Bought — Annual Membership Fund. 

Mirror, Gilded Frame, U. S.. c. 1820 Bought — Special Museum Fund. 



IS 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



ACCESSIONS— Continued 



CLASS 
Glass 



Metal 

W^ORK 



Musical In- 
struments 



Silver. 



Textiles 



Miscellan- 
eous .... 



OBJECT 

Pressed Glass Salt Cellar, Made by Boston 
and Sandwich Glass Company, Sandwich, 
Mass. , c. 1 840 

2 Large White Glass Tumblers, Engraved 
Decoration. Made by Baron Henry William 
Stiegel, Manheim. Pa.. 1762-1774 

Glass Ornament. Head of Medusa. Old Roman. 

Large Glass Head with Chevron Decoration. 
Old Roman 

Glass Bottle, Phoenician, c. 500 B. C 

Blue Glass Cup Plate, "Henrv Clay Design," 
u. s 

Opalescent Glass Cup Plate. U. S.. Old 

:; Glass Salt Cellars, Made by the New Eng- 
land Glass Company, East Cambridge, Mass., 
c. 1S40 

Glass Flask with Enameled Decoration, Swit- 
zerland, 1 8th Century 

White Blown Glass Decanter, U. S.. c. 1820. 

6 Glass Scent Vials. Orleans, France, i8th 
Century 

2 Glass V'ases, 7 Salt Cups, Tumbler, and 2 
Bowls. Made by Baron Henry William 
Stiegel, ^Manheim, Pa., 1762- 1 774 

Pressed Glass Cup Plate, U. S., c. 1840 .... 

Blown Glass Match Holder. U. S., c. 1830.. 



HOW ACQUIRED 

Given .\nonymously. 

Bought — -Annual ^lembership Fund. 
Bought — Special Museum Fund. 



^Lent By Dr. Edwin A. Barber. 



Incised Decoration. L'^. S., 
Enamel Colors, 



Wafer-Iron, with 

Old 

2 Clock Dials, Painted 

England, i8th Century 

2 Iron Rim Door Locks, England, c. 1800.. 
Articulated Wrought Iron Dragon, by Mune- 

yori, Japan 

Iron "Betty" Lamp, Germany, 17th Century 
Articulated Wrought Iron Crayfish, by !My- 

ochin-Munenaga, Japan 

Wrought Iron Lock and Key, Gothic Style. 

Designed and Executed by Mr. Samuel 

Yellin, Philadelphia 

Iron Door Knocker with Brass Name Plate, 

U. S.. Old 

Britannia Ware Holy Water Vat, Made by 

Homan & Company, Cincinnati, Ohio, c. 



rS 



Brass Door Knocker, L'. S., 19th Century 

Gourd (Giiira) Porto Rico 

.Saxhorn, European 

TIelicon. European 

Harp ( Xanga) .Africa 



Given By Mrs. Wm. D. Frishmuth. 

Given By Mrs. Wm. D. Frishmuth. 
Given by Dr. J. F. Herbert. 

Given by Mr. John T. Morris. 
Given by Mr. J. S. Roush. 

Bought — Special Museum Fund. 



Bought — Joseph E. Temple Trust. 
Bought — Special Museum Fund. 



Bought — Annual Membership Fund. 
Bought — Special Museum Fund. 



2 Silver Souvenir Spoons, Canada 

Silver Fireman's Trumpet, Engraved Decora- 
tion, Philadelphia, 1849 

Silver Ladle. Made bv N. Coleman, Burling- 
ton. X. J.. iSig 

Silver Tablespoon, Made by P. Garrett. Phila- 
delphia, iSi T-1831 

3 Tea Spoons, 5lade by James Musgrave. 
Philadelphia, r 797 

.Soumak Rug, Caucasian. 19th Century 



Powder Horn, Germany, 171 1 

2 Daguerreotype Frames, Mother-of- Pearl, 
Made at the Works of Samuel Hart. Phila- 
delphia, c. 1 850 



Given by Mrs. Wm. D. Frishmuth. 

Lent by Mrs. John ^L Hartman. 
Bought— Annual Membership Fund. 

^Lent By Dr. Edwin A. Barber. 

Lent by Mrs. Hampton L. Carson. 
Given by Mr. Henry Wolfschmidt. 

Bought — Special Museum Fund. 



16 



P E N N S Y LVA NIA MUSEUM 

AND SCHOOL OF INDUSTRIAL ART 



IMUSCUM COMMITTCe 



John Story Jenks, Chairman 
Thomas Skelton Harrison 
John H. McFadden 
John T. Morris 
John W. Pepper 
Edgar V. Seeled 



Edward T. Stotesbury 
Mrs. W. T. Carter 
Mrs. W. D. Frishmuth 
Miss Fannie S. Macee 
Miss Elizabeth C. Roberts 
Mrs. John Harrison, Ex Officio 



Miss Anna Blanchard, Honorary 
Edwin AtLee Barber, Director of the Museum 
Mrs. Cornelius Stevenson, Assistant Curator and Lecturer 



HONORARY CURATORS 

Textiles, Lace and Embroidery Mrs. John Harrison 

Oriental Pottery , Mrs. Jones Wister 

European Porcelain Rev. Alfred Duane Pell 

Amis and Armor Cornelius Stevenson 

Furniture and Woodwork Gustav Ketterer 

Musical Instruments Mrs. W. D. Frishmuth 

Prints, Book Plates and Historic Seals Charles E. Dana 

Numismatics F. D. Langenheim 

Sculpture, Marbles and Casts ^ . . .Alexander Stirling Caldek 



INSTRUCTION COMMITTEE 



Theodore C. Search, Chairman 

Charles Bond 

Isaac H. Clothier 

Charles E. Dana 

James H. Gay 

Thomas Skelton Harrison 

John Story Jenks 

Edgar V. Seeler 

Jones Wister 



William Wood 

Mrs. Rodman B. Ellison 

Mrs. F. K. Hipple 

Mrs. Thomas Roberts 

Mrs. Joseph F. Sinnott 

Mrs. C. Shillard Smith 

Mrs. John Wister 

Mrs. Jones Wister 

Mrs. John Harrison, Ex Officio 



ASSOCIATE COMMITTEE OF WOMEN TO THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES 



PRESIDENT 

Mrs. John Harrison 

SECRCTAnV 

Mrs. C. Shillard Smith 



VICC-PRESIOENT 

Mrs. Edward H. Ogden 

TREASURER 

Mrs. Joseph F. Sinnott 



Mrs. Edwin Swift Balch 
Mrs. Rudolph Blankenbitrg 
Miss Louise W. Bodine 
Mrs. Jasper Yeates Brinton 
Mrs. John H. Brinton 
Mrs. William T. Carter 
Miss Margaret Clyde 
Miss Margaret L. Corlies 
Miss Ada M. Crozer 
Mrs. David E. Dallam 



Mrs. Rodman B. Ellison Miss 

Countess Santa Eulalia Mrs. 

Miss Cornelia L. Ewing Mrs. 

Mrs. W. D. Frishmuth Mrs. 

Mrs. W. W. Gibbs Mrs. 

Mrs. C. Leland Harrison Miss 

Miss M. S. Hinchman Mrs. 

Mrs. F. K. Hipple Mrs. 

Mrs. J. L. Ketterlinus Mrs. 

Miss Nina Lea Mrs. 



Fannie S. Magee 
Arthur V. Meigs 
James Mifflin 
Francis F. Milne 
John W. Pepper 
Elizabeth C. Roberts 
Thomas Roberts 
Cornelius Stevenson 
John Wister 
Jones Wister 



HONORARY MEMBERS 



IVIrs. M. Hampton Todd 



Miss Anna Blanchard